Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Are You Missing Your Federal Tax Refund for 2008?

If you have just filed your 2008 federal tax return, and you have yet to receive your rebate, you can log onto the irs.gov website to find out if the return has been processed. Whether you opted for direct deposit or asked the IRS to mail your refund check, you still have the option of tracking your refund on the irs.gov website.

You can generally get information about your refund 72 hours after IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, or three to four weeks after mailing a paper return.
Have a copy of your tax return handy. You will need to provide the following information from your return:

*Your Social Security Number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number);
*Filing status (Single, Married Filing Joint Return, Married Filing Separate Return, Head of Household, or Qualifying Widow(er))
*The exact whole dollar amount of your refund

It's a good indicator that if you have not received your refund within 28 days, from the original IRS mailing date shown, then you are able to trace your refund by changing your address online.
Begin your search at"Where's My Refund" Here you will enter your SSN, Filing Status, and Refund Amount, and hit submit.

As always, please be aware of emails and phising scams. It is important to keep in mind that the IRS never sends out emails falsely claiming to be an established legitimate enterprise in an attempt to scam the user into surrendering private information that will be used for identity theft.

No comments: